Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome to St. Thomas of Canterbury. We are a Church of England Junior School, whose main aim is to give every child the opportunity to realise their full potential in all aspects of their education, within a caring, Christian community.
The school began in 1835 and has grown in size as well as changing sites. It was enlarged in 1883 and a new school built on the site of the present Health Centre in Coptfold Rd by the Church in 1914. As the population of Brentwood continued to grow, so too did the school, and again the school became overcrowded.
The foundation stone for the present school was laid by the then Bishop of Chelmsford, in 1967. The Duchess of Kent performed the opening ceremony in October, 1968.
The school was founded by the Church to provide an education according to the principles and practices of the Church of England.
Being a Church Foundation, we are grant aided by the Department for Children, Schools and Families.
Religious Education at the school is in accordance with the Diocesan Syllabus for Aided Schools. Although parents have the right to withdraw their children from RE and worship, our expectation is that all children will participate in the Religious Education and collective worship of the school, as this is a fundamental part of our ethos. The school has very close links with the Parish Church of St. Thomas of Canterbury, Brentwood.